The urban development of this area of Florence, immediately outside the center, dates back to the period of Florence Capitale (1865-1871) and of the development plans of Giuseppe Poggi, who demolished the walls and created the wide boulevards to the Parisian one. The denomination (in the form via Robbia) is attested since 1884, a year that is equally indicative of the construction of the route. After the resumption of the dramatic economic crisis that the Municipality experienced after the transfer of the capital to Rome, caused by the huge investments linked to its urban renewal, the plan was completed. Thus arose small buildings, villas and small villas for the upper middle class of the time, often in an eclectic or Liberty style, which demonstrated with their dating a development well after the transfer of the capital. With regard to the section near Viale Giuseppe Mazzini, the limits imposed on the urbanization of the area due to the presence of the railway track in Arezzo and the related railway station of Porta alla Croce, demolished only in 1896, should also be kept in mind.
In Via Della Robbia, being immediately behind Piazzale Donatello, many artists lived, who went to form the so-called Donatello Group. The presence of figures that animated Florentine cultural life is witnessed by a couple of commemorative plaques along the way.